Friday, May 6, 2011

On Mothers and Mother's Day











OK - on the surface a post on Mother's Day doesn't exactly seem to be about design but my mother has been a huge part of my love for fabrics, stylish clothes (check out the fab hat!) and beautiful furniture. My mom taught me from an early age to appreciate art and dragged me to every museum, opera and symphony she could find. Mom always loved mid century modern furniture even when the trend was for traditional. She taught me that it's better to have few really great things that you really love than a lot of so-so stuff. I learned that it's OK to leave a messy house if it's a nice day and your children want you to play. I learned that girls can be confident and strong and that a sense of humor will take you far.



I'm lucky too that I have an amazing mother in law who has taught me how to garden and how to be (a little more) patient. She has introduced me to the simple things that can make you incredibly happy - baking amazing bread, picking blueberries and eating them straight from the garden, the satisfaction of a great scrabble game. Keep fresh flowers in the house.





Both moms taught me to do it myself - whatever IT might be. Power tools and a sewing machine are your best friends.






Now I am honored to be a mom too and I'm hoping to pass all the things learned from my two favorite mothers on to my girls. I've got big, stylish shoes to fill......















One thing I'll pass on that I've learned as a Mom is to make sure you are actually in front of the camera sometimes. I've got a million shots of the girls and Daddy but very few (decent) shots of me


Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

  1. Such a nice post! I am a designer in RI, and I adore your fabrics! So excited to see you now have a blog-congrats-and Happy Mother's Day to you!
    Tanya
    www.stylestudiollc.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I huave been planning on doing a post about your amazing designs, in celebration of your new blog....it is at the top of my priority list!
    Cheers, Tanya
    www.stylestudiollc.com

    ReplyDelete