Friday, June 3, 2011

Inspiration Board: Tween Girl's Room






My tween client is ready for a more grown up room design. In this case, my 10-year old client is my daughter, Olivia. Yes - I promised we could re-do her room when she turned 10 but how did that happen so quickly? Family are always the toughest to please. This client has decided on purple which I have to say is not one of my favorite colors, especially on the wall. Purple is tricky. Too much and you will tire of it quickly. Just the wrong shade can be garrish. Plus I'm still madly in love with the soft, hazy blue grey that's currently on the wall. Hmmmm.




The solution here is to select a soft, greyed shade of purple, almost lavender, with enough black in it to give it depth. I selected Benjamin Moore's "enchanted" which I think will do the trick. Soft grey, brown and white accents will compliment the walls. A punch of yellow on her reading chair will keep things fresh and young.



My tween's only other parameter is that the room must reflect her love of riding. Most people instantly think of tailored equestrian for a girl's room. The challenge is that this young lady rides western. Yup - cowboy boots and all. So how can the room be sophisticated enough and not, well, country western? I'm focusing on the mix of textures that evoke the barn - a faux cow rug, an upholstered faux suede headboard with some nailhead trim. We'll bring in the horse element by blowing up some black and white pictures I took at the barn of Olivia's favorite horse for artwork.




I'll post pictures as we make progress this summer.




Have a great weekend!







No comments:

Post a Comment