Saturday, March 5, 2011

I'm Loving... Foo Dogs!


Foo Dog Bookends by cb2

On a recent shopping trip I was lucky enough to score a pair (the last pair) of foo dog lamps. I've had a long time love for these. They are sort of in the "so ugly they are cute" category. I bought this pair to go in the Guest room where I've been unsuccessfully auditioning lamps for months, but they look pretty good in the Dining Room too. Don't worry honey, they were cheap!

Foo dogs were originally created as sculptures to guard Buddhist temples and later Chinese sacred places. Actually lions, they were thought to have protective powers and appear in many forms in Chinese decorative arts. 'Fu' is the Chinese word for happiness and these creatures represent power and elegance. Who couldn't use a little happiness and elegance in their home?

Always created in pairs, the male lion rests hid foot on a ball and the female on a cub in the better versions. Foo Dogs, especially in lamp form, have enjoyed a renewed popularity in the last few years but I consider them to be classics.

I've been coveting this pair by one of my favorite designers, Barbara Cosgrove.




Seen here in a June, 2010 spread in House Beautiful





William Sonoma Home's verison



And here are my little beauties

Hope you find happiness this week.





No comments:

Post a Comment