Saturday, July 9, 2011

Inspired by: New Zealand

Bethels Beach (Te Henga)

Some dear friends have decided to be kiwis instead of yanks and have been planning a big move back to Auckland. All of this NZ talk had me dreaming of my time there and definitely inspired some of my latest collection.
I was lucky enough to live in Auckland, albeit for too brief a time, while my husband was part of an America's Cup team in 1999-2000, and visit again a few years later. The landscapes there are simply stunning and the images are permanently imprinted on my mind. I often look at my scrapbooks and watercolor sketches of that beautiful country when I need inspiration.
fern image above via Dianna Adams @ newzealandplantpicks.com
Two new designs, Koru and Fern n Dot are directly inspired by the silver fern (Koru means unfurling fern in the native Maori) and the frightening yet beautiful Ta Moko (traditional Maori tatoos). Fabrics are available now on the web site and via Chairloom.
I highly recommend a visit if you get the chance! In the meantime, here are some images that may inspire you.
Coromandel Penninsula, detail of fern, Waitakere Ranges
black sand beach
view of Lion's Head, Piha Beach
the Coromandel

No comments:

Post a Comment